How to Make DOLLHOUSE FURNITURE from SCRATCH: Tips&Tricks + FAVE tools (designing+making!)

I don't believe in gatekeeping! πŸ˜‚
I always get lots of questions about my process when it comes to making miniatures from scratch... how do I plan my projects? Which tools do I use? How long does it take?
So here's a brief rundown of my process!



➡️Step 1: PLANNING & SKETCHING
My first step: planning out the room I want to build—this time, it's a kitchen!
πŸ‘‰ One of my favorite tools for this stage is Ikea's room planner. It's totally free and gives me a good sense of how much furniture I can fit in the room, and helps me decide on the style and color scheme for the final project.
πŸ‘‰ Believe it or not, another great tool I use is The Sims 4! It may seem a bit silly, but it offers a wide range of tools to build and furnish a "digital" dollhouse—and the base game is completely free now!
πŸ‘‰ And of course, I can't forget Instagram, Pinterest, and good old Google search πŸ˜‚ These are essential for me! I must confess I don't have enough imagination/good taste to come up with completely original interior design ideas on my own, so I spend hours looking at other people's (realπŸ˜‚) homes for inspiration 😍

➡️Step 2: DECONSTRUCT & DESIGN
The second step is what I like to call the "deconstruction" phase of the project!
πŸ‘‰ Since I love using paper for my miniatures, I have to take the original 3D objects and transform them into a series of flat 2D shapes - these shapes are then assembled and layered to recreate the 3D object! This step is the most time-consuming and challenging (it often takes more than a week) but it's also the most fascinating!
πŸ‘‰ I begin with hand-drawn sketches, then move on to CorelDRAW for designing the shapes (Silhouette Studio and Cricut Design Space are great free alternatives).
πŸ‘‰ I also use Blender, a free 3D modeling software, to create a digital rendering of how the project is progressing before I start cutting the shapes out of paper.



➡️Step 3: CUTTING TIME
I'm lucky enough to own a cutting machine, so I handle all the cutting this way. This is possibly the most boring phase of the project, since it can take literally days to cut every single piece and I'm just left there waiting for the machine to end cutting πŸ˜‚ (I'm an impatient crafter)

➡️Step 4.1: PREPARING THE PIECES...
I like to use recycled cardstock (from old packaging) to make my miniatures - it's cheaper than buying chipboard or matboard, and I love giving new life to things that would otherwise end up in the trash!
πŸ‘‰ However, this means cutting several layers for every element of the project and stacking them until I get to the right thickness.



➡️Step 4.2: ...AND ASSEMBLING THEM
This is where the real fun (and mess!) begins πŸ˜‚ Tools of the trade?
πŸ‘‰ I swear by a variety of glues like Tacky Glue, glue rollers, and multipurpose glues such as the E600. Using a good quality glue is essential in miniature making, IMHO 🀷‍♀️
πŸ‘‰ I also keep a couple of nail files with different grits and spackling paste on hand, to smooth out any imperfections!
πŸ‘‰ A good ring light is another great tool! I originally bought one for video-making, but it turned out to be an excellent tool to get a perfect light on my work area. It's literally a lifesaver when working on the tiniest parts!
πŸ‘‰ You can find a comprehensive list of all my favourite supplies for miniature making here!



➡️Step 5: CHECK THAT EVERYTHING WORKS
This is the part where I cross my fingers 🀞and test everything out!
πŸ‘‰ I'm talking hinges, drawers, doors, any moving part, and of course, the overall structure!
πŸ‘‰ Sometimes things simply arent working right, and if that's the case, this is the phase where I have to tweak measurements and mechanism so that they'll work.

➡️Step 6: REPEAT!
Once one element of the project is ready, I move on to the next, and then to the next, until the project is finished and, hopefully, I'm happy with the outcome πŸ˜‚



And there it is! I hope this... "unusual" type of post was helpful to you in some way! 😍